See Our Flyer Here
Description of Program
The program focus to give international students a chance to experience American life by visiting and interacting with American families. This will give students a chance to practice English, work on accent reduction, have help with writing school papers, get advice on filing out forms, experience American holiday, holidays, and culture.
Families will be paired with students to introduce them to American culture, food, and life. The information on the forms will be used to match families with students that have similar interests. Families will be background checked and referred by a local pastor.
Families are encouraged to meet with students at least once a month for an activity. It could be as simple as going to the grocery store or a family sporting event or more complex like a trip to the zoo or Washington DC.
Print Forms To Sign Up Here
Forms may be emailed to staff@FreeEnglishSalisbury.org or mailed to our office. Host families can drop them off to their church representative (Faith Shelton – Providence, Ginger Jenkins – Harvest, Paula Law – Immanuel).
Ideas for Host Families By Month
- September: Beach, bonfire at beach, boardwalk
- October: Harvest, pumpkins, apples, bonfire, hayride, corn maze
- November: Thanksgiving, decorating for Christmas
- December: Christmas, Christmas shopping experience
- January: Game night
- February: Valentine’s Day
- March: St. Patrick’s Day
- April: Easter, Gardening
- May: Baseball, graduation
- A sporting event (Shorebirds, SU football, Child’s game)
- A shopping trip
- Dinner at the host parent’s house
- Game nights with other Host Families
- Culture Nights (Talk about different countries and cultures, teach each other new recipes)
- 3rd Friday
- Salisbury Festival
- County or State Fair